Sodium is an important element for the body, but consumption should be limited in order to keep blood pressure under control.
Recommended sodium intakes vary depending on the severity of CKD and the individual’s overall health picture.
The use of low-sodium salt substitutes is not recommended, as many of these items are high in potassium.
- Foods in their natural state contain little sodium. To reduce sodium intake, it is useful to buy fresh or frozen food and cook it at home. Eating often outside the home or eating ready-to-eat foods makes it difficult to control salt in the diet. Instead of salt, flavor your foods with spices (e.g. chili, pepper, nutmeg, curry) and herbs (e.g. garlic, basil, rosemary), lemons/limes, and vinegars.
- For breads, it is better to buy products with no added salt, such as Tuscan bread or Arabic bread.
- Choose “low sodium” snacks.
- Avoid putting salt shakers on the table.
- Pay attention to foods containing hidden salt, such as bread, pizzas, croissants, biscuits, cold cuts, cheeses, and ready-to-eat frozen foods.
All Flavis products contain safe levels of sodium. With FLAVIS’s broad range of products, you have the tools to stay within the nutritional values you must respect and enjoy meals as normal. Get started with your FLAVIS foods today!